Thursday, July 16, 2009

10 Things

I totally thought I was back in the blog of things, but apparently I’m not. I was so motivated for what…a week? Yeah I know that’s pathetic, but a thing called life kept bringing me down, and when that happens I have no desire to write.

Since this is my first post in over a week, (minus The Hangover post), I’ll entertain you by giving you 10 tid-bits of what’s been going on.

1. I will be starting (another) new job in a week! Crazy right? I feel really bad leaving my current work place because I was hired on to help out a friend, and I was only there for 2 months. Not the best employee I know, but this new job is with a local company who produces eye wear. What is exciting is that I will be designing for the product (packaging/displays), and it includes web work! I feel so blessed to have landed this job, as I really didn’t think I had a chance. (I had interviewed there twice before). Another plus is the company is pretty big and everyone I met seemed really nice. One downer is that I won’t start accruing PTO for 3 months. I know I don’t necessarily need time off since I just had 10 months, but I still like to know that if I need to I can take a day. It also means that I probably won’t be able to make it out to Georgia this year which stinks. Georgia you say? Why would I want to go to Georgia? That brings me to #2…

2. My best friend, Rebekkah, and her family are moving to Georgia in two weeks for two years! It shouldn’t affect our relationship that much since we currently live 5.5 hours away from each other. However it will definitely make it harder to have a weekend visit with her. I am so excited for her and her family to have this once in a lifetime experience. They found an AWESOME rental house in Atlanta and I really can’t wait to visit. A few weekends we headed up north for one last visit. Here are a few photos:

3. I recently went and saw an orthopedist about my Achilles (since it’s been injured for 9 months now). After looking at my MRI he basically didn’t have any new revelations for me. He was concerned that I didn’t know what has caused the injury since I’m so young. He told me to continue to stretch it and ice, and if it was still bad in 3 months to go back and see him. He also told me of this new treatment where they take some of your blood, put it in a centrifuge and then re-inject it in the injury. Hopefully there will be some place that local that could do that for me. I’m getting desperate! One good thing that came from the visit is that he had me go get a nighttime sling. This sling allows my Achilles to stay stretched while I sleep. So far I think it is helping. Both mornings when I woke up it wasn’t that sore. Hopefully this will be the trick. Isn’t it stylish?

4. John and I have also joined a semi-private training group at a local gym. Let me just say that I’ve never done anything like this before AND I cannot believe I’m paying for it. John and I were SO sore for the first two weeks it was horrible! It’s gotten a little better but I dread it every time we go. Seriously…the warm up is sometimes harder than the workout! I blame it on the planks…front, left side, right side, and reverse. How can there be so many different ways to torture oneself? On a positive note, our work outs are customized for our injures…(John’s back, and my Achilles and shoulder). For me it’s totally trial and error in seeing what exercises I can do. For example…last night I was to do 30 30’s for 30 minutes. (30 seconds really fast on the elliptical and then 30 seconds at a normal pace for 30 minutes.) Let me just say that I was SO tired after this, but my Achilles felt fine…until I got home. It started to get sore right before I went to bed and in the middle of the night I was in so much pain I could barely put any weight on it. Luckily by morning it was better but still not back to normal. This was the first time where I had no warning that the exercise I was doing was hurting my foot. It’s extremely frustrating to not be 100% healthy and being so limited in what I can do. I would love to do some aerobic activity. Oh well…hopefully it will get better.

5. I just finished my last book club selection which means the group will be getting together in a few weeks to pick our next round. Exciting!

6. My friend Steph had her second child last month, a girl named Sydney. I’ve been so busy with work that I haven’t even had time to meet her. I definitely wasn’t prepared at how much my life was going to change once I went back to work. I think I’ve only gone to the grocery store 2 times in the last 2 months and I think the only meal I cooked was over the 4th of July when my parents were visiting. It makes me sad that I don’t have time to cook anymore or do any of the other crafty things I used to do. I’m hoping that my mind will (sooner than later) forget what it was like to be a house wife.

7. In wedding news…my sister-in-law hired the photographer who took the anniversary photos of John and I last year. I am SO excited! I love being able to give referrals to people who I think do great work. I was worried that I would never find him a client(s) since most of my friends have gotten hitched, but I lucked out! I might have to strategically park the mini in the background so it can make it in a few shots. Speaking of the Mini…

8. Looks like our customized plate MINIBOO is taken! I know!! I can’t even believe I have to think of other options when we’ve been planning on that pate for years! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Please let me know if you have any good ideas. We would prefer to have the word ‘mini’ in it somewhere. I’ve seen two good ones around town. They were ‘MINUTE S’ and ‘SLO BRIT’. Both pretty clever. Mine needs to be better though!

9. We are heading up to the bay area this weekend for a baby shower and I can’t wait! I know it will be lots of fun. We are also going to get to meet up with some friends of ours who just moved to San Jose so I’m excited to see them as well.

10. Also in a few weeks we will be headed back up to the bay area to see my neck doctor for a post opp ultra sound. I got some blood work done a few months ago and there were still signs of thyroid cells in my blood. I guess before the surgery it was 3.8 and now it’s a 1.7. It is good that it is lower, but it should be undetectable. So hopefully the doctor will find out where they are hiding, although I’m not sure if that will mean I will have to go under the knife again. However if she can’t find them that probably means waiting for another ultra sound. Or maybe if she can’t find them I’ll have to have more blood work done and maybe they won’t be there anymore! Wishful thinking right? Here’s an updated photo of my scar. I was taking them every week, but I fizzed out after the first few months. I really wanted to show the progression of the healing. Oh well.


:: CCB's Knit-Knacks :: said...

Hey Amber, your thyroid scar is healing very well from that photo. You must be pleased with it. Just reading about your achilles problems - there's a chance that if you don't know how you injured it and it's not working well that is *could* be connected to your thyroid trouble, ie. being slightly undermedicated. I have all sorts of weird problems in my body due to TD.

Hmm, 'mini gru' instead of 'miniboo'? ;-) Cindy. x

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job! It seems as though you are way more excited about this one than the last. It sounds awesome.

Sarah said...

Wow. I'm exhausted just reading all that's been going on in your life. At least you aren't bored!

Daniel and Brianne said...

Wow! So much going on! Congrats on the new job...that sounds perfect for you. Your scar is looking awesome too! Sorry to hear about the license plate...I'll let you know if I think of anything genius as a replacement. Hope you guys have a great weekend. :)

Judy S said...

Hey! That scar is really fading! Too bad about
the license plate...

big d said...

How about "boomini"? Your nickname and your car and you are a boomer!