Sunday, February 14, 2010

Finally!!

This past November I did something that I had ALWAYS wanted to do…since I was a teenage.

Did I jump out of a plane?

Did I get an inappropriate piercing?

Did I go skinny-dipping?

Did I sneak into a movie without paying?

Did I drive 100 miles an hour on the freeway?

Answer? None of the above. I wish it was something as exciting as the list above, but all I did was dye my hair. Well it’s kind of exciting as I dyed it PURPLE!
No not like that!
Way more mild…just in the back…see?
I cannot tell you how much I LOVE IT! I am actually really mad I waited this long to dye it. 20 years is WAY too long. However you have to be seen as a ‘normal’ person in our society right? How many times have you stared at a person with green hair or wondered what was wrong with them? I’m sure it was more than once, and I’m sure my parents didn’t want me to be that person. But it’s just hair dye people!

I should have dyed my hair when I was unemployed last year, but who would hire someone with ‘crazy’ hair? However once you get a job you also don’t want to risk loosing it by having ‘crazy’ hair…right? So that is why I: a) only dyed part of it, b) waited until I had been at my job for 3 months, and c) went subtle. Apparently those three items are the key to success.

After seeing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I really wanted to dye my ENTIRE head like Kate did. Isn’t her hair beautiful?
However dealing with my roots would be a pain, and probably get pretty pricey due to all of the re-dyes. With my color somewhat hidden I don’t have to worry about the roots showing, which is pretty sweet.

One small bummer is that the dye isn’t permanent…meaning it comes out in the shower, on your pillowcase, and on your clothes. It also fades quicker the more you wash it and if you use hot water on it. It has definitely been a lot more to deal with than I thought it would, but it’s totally worth it.

After my purple started to fade, it turned to a light pink, so the next time I went in for a touch up I decided to get pink.I just got it dyed blood red which is supposed to turn orange, so we will see. Why red you ask? For Valentine’s Day of course!
The one good thing that came of me having thyroid cancer is that it taught me to live each day to it’s fullest. If there is something you have always wanted to do…why wait? You could be hit by a bus tomorrow leaving you with a TON of regrets while hanging out in heaven. I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t sound fun to me. You only have one life…unless you are a cute little kitty, so please don’t forget that.

I am seriously blown away by how much joy getting my hair dyed has brought me. Who would have known that something so simple would make my life better?

If that bus comes after me tomorrow I don’t want any regrets…and you shouldn’t either!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad you're enjoying the hair!

Sarah A. said...

Wow Amber! That is BRAVE! I'm glad you're enjoying this little burst of excitement, or rebellion in your life :) Should we be expecting piercings? Tattoos?

Big D said...

I'm glad that you waited to do the dye job. Fortuna is very conservative. You definetely would have gotten some choice comments working the front desk at Eel River. It does look good, but hold off on the nose ring.

Unknown said...

Maybe you are so happy with your hair color because you are being your "authentic self", as Oprah says.

chrrrrrs said...

I like the pink! Reminds me if Gwen Stefani back in the day!

Samantha said...

Great post! I highly recommend skinny dipping, inappropriate piercings and sneaking into movies!