Greetings from Placiencia Belize! Obviously we made it here, and this was my third attempt to find an Internet connection. I have so much to write and am not sure where to start... for one the humidity is quite the killer. It wasn't so bad when we were in the jungle, but now I am sweating constantly... and most places do not have AC.
I really liked Guatemala as well.... we went to Tikal (google it) and saw all the ruins. They were great. Maggie gave us the name of a great guide. He was so passionate about the Mayan culture, it was really infectious. It''s also also been a LONG time since I've been in a third world country, and I wasn't really prepared. I was on total sensory overload. Mainly with the living conditions and how everyone just seems to be hanging out.
Here's the synopsis so far....
- Found out Tikal was used for a scene in Star Wars
- Went to a jungle cabana in the middle of the jungle with NO ELECTRICITY.... we were told when we arrived 'I hope you like snakes and bugs and stuff.' Our alarm clock was howler monkeys at 5:30am.
- Went tubing with bats, and zip lining with Texans.
- Probably have dengue fever due to the 15+ mosquito bites I got...all within a small time frame. (I have been using off).
- Have had four plane rides, one with 10 seats, one with 8 seats, and one with 4 seats... yes I was co-pilot.
- Swam with barracuda and friendlier fish.
- Have sweated 20 lbs.
- Currently living and sleeping 10 yards from the water, photos to follow.
- Had a cockroach roommate until he showed himself.
I plan to post my daily journal when I get back. Not so much for your pleasure, but for the fact that I'm too lazy (sweaty) to write it out while I'm here.
I'm not sure if I will have computer access again. WE are headed to San Pedro tomorrow, which will be the last leg of our trip.
I hope you all are doing well. We miss you and I want to tell you everything as I don't think my stories will really give you the same impression as being here.